I wish all of you a fantastic Saturday after Christmas. This entry will require a cup of hot cider or hot cocoa to sip as you peruse. First of all, a Yellow Flag of Shame finds its way to the lap of Josh Gordon, the recalcitrant Cleveland Browns WR. If you need a mentor to keep you on the up-and-up, please contact me. It’s free of charge. I only want you to stay accountable and have your name in the papers and social media for positive reasons.
Secondly, it’s time to pick some games.
- Dallas Cowboys at Washington Redskins – I really hope the ‘Boys aren’t in a “look to the future” type of mentality that would allow Washington a victory at home. Finish strongly, ‘Boys!
- Cleveland Browns at Baltimore Ravens – Now that Jonathan Manziel is on IR, it remains to see how the Browns will bounce back. I’ve news for them; Terrell Suggs dines on any QB. He doesn’t care who sacks and packs. Ravens win even after that baffling display from last week.
- Indianapolis Colts at Tennessee Titans- the Titans will pay the price of the injured pride of the Colts and their star QB Andrew Luck. Sorry, guys!
- Jacksonville Jaguars at Houston Texans – J.J. Watt leads an MVP-worthy performance as the resurgent Texans flatten the Jags. Sorry, Jaxson De Ville!
- San Diego Chargers at Kansas City – Philip Rivers is a dangerous man, hence my moniker of Peck’s Bad Boy for the Alabama native. Andy Reid is a formidable strategist who will coax a highlight reel-level performance from his team. Who wins? Push. I just want to enjoy the show.
- NY Jets at Miami Dolphins – Who knew this would be the most likely final stop of the Rex Ryan Farewell Tour? Black Monday looms large for this rather fascinating coach who reportedly had some type of thing for feet. Go figure. Fins win unless the Yets chant, “I think I can” like mad and win one for Coach Ryan.
- Chicago Bears at Minnesota Vikings – Jay Cutler baffles me with his up-and-down play; he has a Herculean arm when he uses it. Too often, the receivers aren’t catching it. I’m dropping Martellus Bennett on my fantasy team. He scored zero points last week, but I don’t blame him; it’s just a game, and I get to chose who I think will earn me the most points. My husband is beating me on ESPN’s Gridiron Challenge. I think I’ll have to make him a nice dinner since I lost fair and square. Next year, he’s going down!
- Buffalo Bills at New England – how many ways can Bill Belichik dismantle a defense? Start counting from the first snap. Pats bounce the Bills like big rubber ball.
- Philadelphia Eagles at NY Giants – hubby wants both teams to lose, but that’s not possible, so we’ll settle for the Giants winning. We hope. We sincerely hope since the Iggles are out of the playoffs. Hear evil laughter.
- New Orleans Saints at Tampa Bay Buccaneers – The cannon will sound about two or three times, but the Saints will sound off on the Bucs more. They’ve been pretty good on the road.
- Carolina Panthers at Atlanta Falcons – The formerly known as “dirty birds” will want to pluck up Sir Purr and his friends and dash their hopes on the rocks of despair. Cam’s in the lineup, so it’s going to be fun to watch. My son desperately wants his beloved Panthers to triumph and take the NFC South crown with a 7-8-1 record. Just the idea of a losing team winning the division deserves a Yellow Flag of Shame, so there!
- Detroit Lions at Green Bay Packers – Aaron Rodgers is feeling better, and they’re playing in Lambeau. The Lions proved last week that the cold was not always their enemy. The temperature’s supposed to be around 25°F tomorrow. As much as I want my beloved Megatron to embarrass the Packers’ D, it’s not going to happen. Next year, Calvin!
- Oakland Raiders at Denver Broncos – let’s hope that C.J. Anderson has a good week, the General tosses several TD passes and zero INTs, and that the Denver D, led by DeMarcus Ware and Von Miller are all moving in a positive direction toward victory. Yee-haw! Broncos win.
- Arizona Cardinals at San Francisco 49ers – Colin’s been kind of off his game, and then he shows flashes of brilliance. Patrick Peterson wants to show some brilliance with a pick 6, even if he causes it to happen and doesn’t run it in himself. The Cards are dangerous at this time of year, and they win their last road game of the regular season.
- St. Louis Rams at Seattle Seahawks – this one might have been interesting if we had the “greatest show on turf” matched up against the present defensive combinations of the Seahawks. I’d probably have to vacuum up at least one bag of popcorn after screeching in excitement about a big play. Enough dreaming. Seahawks roll the Rams to Loser Lane again. Keep your tempers, boys!
- Cincinnati Bengals at Pittsburgh Steelers – This is the absolute last regular season game of the NFL for 2014. Sigh. The Bengals upended the General’s apple cart last week, and he had four INTs. Ugh. I bet the Steelers burst their bubble at Heinz Field.
Speaking of staying accountable, here is my tally for College Bowl Mania so far. My picks are bolded for your reference.
- New Orleans Bowl – Nevada vs. LA-Lafayette, correct!
- New Mexico Bowl – Utah State vs. UTEP, correct!
- Las Vegas Bowl – Utah vs. Colorado State, WRONG!
- Potato Bowl – Western Michigan vs. Air Force, correct!
- Camellia Bowl – South Alabama vs. Bowling Green, correct!
- Miami Beach Bowl – BYU vs. Memphis, correct!
- Boca Raton Bowl – Marshall vs. Northern Illinois, correct!
- Poinsettia Bowl – Navy vs. San Diego State, WRONG! Why did I pick against the Midshipmen?
- Bahamas Bowl – Central Michigan vs. Western Kentucky, correct! What a wild finish that one was this week. Woo-hoo!
- Hawai’i Bowl – Fresno State vs. Rice, correct!
- Heart of Dallas Bowl – Illinois vs. Louisiana Tech, correct!
- Quick Lane Bowl – Rutgers vs. UNC, correct!
- St. Petersburg Bowl – NC State vs. UCF, WRONG!
- Military Bowl – Cincinnati vs. Virginia Tech, WRONG!
- Sun Bowl – Arizona State vs. Duke, correct!
- Independence Bowl – Miami vs. South Carolina, correct!
- Pinstripe Bowl – Boston College vs. Penn State, in progress at time I went to press.
- Holiday Bowl – Nebraska vs. USC, in progress at the time I went to press.
Yes, I'll be playing ESPN's Gridiron Playoff Challenge this year. Bring it, don't sing it!
Lady Grid out.